Sunday, June 21, 2009

Father's Day and a June Birthday

This blog entry gives me a good opportunity to use the picture I have of my Dad and my 'baby' brother....who celebrated his 35th birthday on the 10th of June. Late post, I know, but I was busy taking tests that day, and on the weekend, making birthday cake and yeast rolls! On our birthdays, we get to pick the meal we want, and Anthony always picks grilling out! We had barbeque chicken, corn-on-the-cob, hash brown casserole, baked beans, salad, and yeast rolls. It was great, just like the guy who's day we celebrated!

If you have never made corn-on-the-cob on the grill, try it sometime. Simply soak your corn ears (yes, soak shucks and all) in a sink or bucket of water for approximately an hour or longer. Then lay them on the grill and let them steam for about an hour. The silks fall away from the corn! It is easy and keeps the kitchen cool!

Today we are going to the parents house for a Father's Day celebration. I have the best Dad I could have ever asked for. The love Dad has for his family is evident in everything he does. I cannot even begin to name all the things Dad has done for me over my lifetime. Some of the time I didn't like the lesson I was being taught, but all these years later, I am so thankful Dad stayed firm, even though I know it would have been easier for him to give in!

A funny story that comes to mind is when I started buying furniture for the house I had bought after my divorce. I loved the 'shabby' look.....and the shabbier, the better! Dad didn't get the distressed look at all! He asked me if I needed some money to buy 'good' furniture!

I love you Dad! Thanks for understanding me!

1 comment:

  1. hi Lisa :)Thank you so much for making me feel so welcome. When I read your comment I laughed so hard I cried and thought wow this woman so gets me :) That is an awsome feeling isn't it. Then I realized you were truly hurt in that accident and I swear I could feel my abuelita pop me one :) BTW I just read your post on your brother and dad, I would have loved to have been there and enjoyed the wonderful company and amazin grub :) And the comments about your dad made my eyes well up for awhole other reason. Your dad kind of reminds me of mine, as soon as my heart rests a bit more I will post some pics of him, they kind of look alike and you know what? My dad was from Indiana! How cool is that :) btw what your dad said about your furniture, mine did too lol not only that but when he would see me distress things, it made him distressed and not in a good way :) I know I will be back often! Take care...Rose

    ReplyDelete